Sunday 2 January 2011

New Year, New Blog!

I have started this blog as a portal to my research and thinking on sustainable capitalism.  What this aims to do is show how capitalism can become more sustainable and worthwhile.  I believe capitalism is the best economic model we have, but there are a few changes that need to be made in order to make it more useful for humanity and the environment.  I don't believe I have all the answers, but I hope to bring together like minded thinkers and get the debate going and see where it leads us.

One of the major problems with capitalism is the concept of 'growth' and its consequences.  Capitalism has become addicted to growth, through its aims and even its measures of success, such as GDP and market share etc.  I believe this has led to wrong decisions being made, the wrong targets being used and will ultimately end in humans destroying the planet through their actions.  It is a fact that in the UK and other developed countries we have created a consumption based system which does not necessarily make our lives more fulfilled.  In fact the opposite is the case: it seems the richer we get the more unhappy we become and there is pain for those that are unable to quench that man-made desire for more.

What are the consequences of growth?  We live on a finite planet and are rapidly using all our available resources, without consideration for what happens when they are all gone.  The planet can survive without humans, but we cannot survive without the planet.  Therefore we need to develop methods of using the limited resources we have to the best of their ability to provide prosperity for all rather than taking them for granted.  It is this idea that will form the basis for my blog. 

I hope you find what I say interesting and that it might make you think a little harder about how you live; I also look forward to hearing your own thoughts and contributions to this concept.

No comments:

Post a Comment